tisdag 10 juni 2008

Saturday


As They Are
acrylic on canvas 48 x 48 inches

Ted Vasin is a Russian-born (sorry missus) San Francisco-based artist.

"Bridging the gap between fantastical dreams and quotidian life, Ted Vasin’s work communicates an unfamiliar perspective, an enveloping multi-dimensional world containing shapes that defy simple associations. The execution is crisp and recise and make use of a wide variety of metallic pigments and robust colors. The artist mixes these with particles that refract light, shift hues, and become iridescent, each visual aspect carefully designed to frustrate the viewer’s ability to pin the image down and name it."
- Limn Art Gallery, SF, CA

Went to see his art opening exhibit last Sat. I'm a bit bias of his art work because Ted's paintings are on every wall of Mikey-Ike's flats. I see it almost daily and this changes my perspective of his art. The paintings that were exhibited at Limn, for me it was not very captivating, except for one (above). It was too abstract. The arts hanging on Mikey-Ike's wall are a bit more stylized and showed vivid of his dreams coming into life. It's surreal. I love how he incorporates and moves colors. It never fails to amaze and confuse me.


Then, we had dinner at...


Mi bonne amie(?), Miss Camille, works here. Since I've known her she's worked at several different restaurants and I've been invited to all of those. And finally last Saturday after the show, we decided to pay her a visit (unfortunately she wasn't around). We had...
Baltimore Crab Fluffs
Sliced Persian cucumber, watermelon radish, spicy remoulade
----- This was delicious. The inside was certainly fluffy =))) and real crabs were used. The spicy remoulade went well with the main attraction. The ingredients were balanced.
Grilled Squid Salad
Garbanzo bean puree, kohlrabi, fennel, cilantro, crème fraiche, coriander vinaigrette
------ The squid was not thoroughly cleaned. But I thought it was still good.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Arugula, cherry tomatoes, creamy buttermilk dressing

------ This was the highlight for me; never had this before. The batter coated the tomatoes really well. It was mind-blowing for me. It wasn't overcooked and the tomatoes were firm, it didn't disintegrate when fried.
Southern Fried Chicken
Buttermilk soaked Mary’s free range chicken, collard greens, Nora Mill white speckled grits, herb gravy
----- Been hunting for for a better than Max's fried poulet. None has surpassed Max's fried poulet, yet. I liked the batter that coated the chicken, it was tender and moist, but not enough flavor was going on, a bit bland inside.
Grilled Vande Rose Farm Pork Chop
Black eyed pea salad with cherry belle radish and radish tops, spring onion custard, pork belly gravy
---- There's something about pork, perhaps it's the after taste I don't like. But when porkchop is well done, it's so moist and tender; and this I can eat.

Overall, I would give Maverick a C+. It wasn't awful. I would've given it a B-, but their busboy was a tad rude. For instance, he would just reach across our table without saying 'excuse me'. Though our waiter was pleasant. I'd go back again for the fried green tomatoes =))) - that's it though.


Anyway, holler at your Gurl!



2 kommentarer:

Lovelies sa...

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Anonym sa...

say what?

lolsss