måndag 26 oktober 2009

Une femme est une femme.

I hate Mondays. I loathe them.
And sometimes like today I just
refuse to get up from bed.
Just stay in my pajamas, eat popcorn
and watch French movies.

Today I started the Jean-Luc Godard
collection that I found in the library
with Une Femme Est Une Femme.


It tells the story of Angela from Denmark who
is living in 60's Paris with her husband Emile.
She works as a danseuse in a 'strajptajs' bar.
(Her dance number is adorable.)
And she wants children. With Emile. Right away.
But Emile just does not.


So off Angela goes with Alfred, Emile's friend.
This is the scene where Alfred and Angela sit at a tiny bar,
listening to Charles Aznavour and drinking away monies that
they never even had.
Alfred tells Angela he loves her.
Proves it by hitting his head on the wall and then tells her he
will give her a child.

They sleep together.
Angela then goes home to Emile and confesses.
He is mortified. But she says that 'you don't love me but I love you'.
And they make love together so that if Angela is pregnant they
can still spend their lives together and Emile can think that he is the father.
The End.


This movie is so French, so funny and so absurd.
You have to see it!
And oh boy how magnifique is that Anna Karina as Angela?
Tres tres magnifique.

Love,
E

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Wow.... Looks/sounds très intéressant, indeed. I heart films like this... I'll make sure to borrow this film and see it, asap =)

I have 7 or less weeks to go... and my agonizing research paper will be over - Woohoo!

Thanks!

Hearts,
A