torsdag 11 september 2008

Estoy leendo.

After breaking my camera and dropping the other one on a very dirty toilet floor in a pub I have kind of given up. So I read. Oh boi do I read. I read so my eyes feel dry and my pockets as empty as a river on a low tide. But it does not matter as the whole of my inside is filled with stories that make my heart race and my mind enlargen from its original size only meant for academic scripts. Anyway, whenever I do not spend my time with my nose in a book I find myself in the most impossible situations both in the water as well as on land.

This far I have managed to:
- cut out half of my left toe
- kick my own boards fin making a massivolicious cut on the inside of my right foot
- tipped over so that I almost repeated the toe cut on my right toe
- cut the inside of my foot a bit more by kicking the fin while duck diving under waves
- get hammered in the small waves that have hit the Spanish coast
- break two cameras
- drop a hoodie on a very filthy toilet floor and then throw it out on the instant without thinking that I might actually need the hoodie as the weather Gods are playing tricks on our crew

Ah well. Holiday and good times come at a certain price I guess. And mine is high.
Here is a list of what I have read so far:

Meet mr. Poirot, mrs. Marple and mr. Quinn in a collection of A. Christie's best. Includes the wonderful Mousetrap story that has been shown in the theatres of London for ever and ever.

The story of little Sophia spending her summers in the Finnish archipelago with her (a bit sickly) grandmother and (oh so manly) father. A wonderful read with one of my most beloved sequences in the literature history:

* Sophia is crying and screaming.
The grandmother is starting to feel a bit sick and she yells out to Sophia
- Stop screaming or I will puke on you!
Now that is love.

This one is all about love. Nicole Krauss' second novel has so much to it that I feel pity for the people who write book recensions for a living. After reading this all you want to do is name your first born Alma.

Warning. I bought this horrendous thing as it was only 3 euros at the Biarritz market and had almost 600 pages to it. What can I say, I do not enjoy chick lit.

Based in South Africa (written in 1950) tells the story of Mary and Dick Turner, who live in the country of hard life, hard values and the every day life filled with racial tension between the white landlords and the 'natives' (as called in the book). A hard read as it makes you feel so engrossed by the white ways and...all of it. Be prepared to feel your stomach turn at every n-word mentioned in the lines. I still have not finished this one but I will. With time. I just need to put the book down every now and again to look at my love and think that we at least have broken some racial boundaries. I think.

So there you have it. Now you know exactly what is going down in then blue Quetchua tent of ours. A whole lot of reading.
- E

2 kommentarer:

Anonym sa...

wow, du har läst en hel del och råkat ut för en hel massa! ska kanske titta på den där history of love, trots lite kliché titel!

Anonym sa...

Elsuuuu, don't you dare steal my first daughters name if you'll have yours first! I have decided years ago that my first babygirl's name will be Alma Palmiola after my dad's granny and the meaning of a soul in Spanish... And yes i love that book as well...it was well written. Props for her. Luv, julia