söndag 23 november 2008

"Bangka"


I spent part of my childhood in this little town called Sta. Magdalena, Sorsogon in the Philippines. It is so small that everyone knows each other. It's a peninsula situated on the East side of the Philippines archipelago.

The little boat above, it's called "bangka" in Tagalog. It has two paddles.
I didn't learn how to row till later on. I was fortunate enough to have awesome cousins [i was never allowed to go beyond the shallow water alone], they were the ones who would steer and drive the 'bangka'.

When the grown-ups are not using the 'bangka' for fishing, my cousins and I would steer it towards the deeper part of the cove.
Such a joy to swim in warm water and frolick with people you adore. It was so much fun.

At times, our "Lolo" (grandpa) would drive the bangka and he would take us beyond the cove and sightsee. I would get frightened a bit b/c of my swimming ability - lol.
Kinda of like what I do here in SF most of the time - cruising around town.

I had sooo much fun with my cousins growing up.

1 kommentar:

Anonym sa...

Awww.this was really special A.
i love the way you write!
It is so nonchalant but yet I can
feel all the love.

It is now snowing here, big time.
So looking out of the window and then back to the window screen was such an amazing contrast.
Plus that opening dibadaba
made me all warm :)

- E